Sunday, March 18, 2012

The Burger's Priest


Being blessed with another incredibly warm March weekend in Toronto, it seemed like everyone was out in the city streets revelling in the joy of our early spring weather. I also never noticed so many people dressed in green (in shorts and sandals too) on the streets to celebrate St Patrick's Day on Saturday. An extra dose of Irish Spring fever in the air!

So what goes better with great weekend weather than a damn good burger? I finally made my way to the The Burger's Priest on Queen St East to try their much talked-about classic American cheeseburger. The two draw-backs about this place are the long line-ups and that it's strictly takeout. Considering the warm weather, I didn't mind waiting outside for a bit and taking the food to go. Once inside, my first thought was that this joint was TINY but the looks on people's faces were of pure happiness and thick with anticipation. I had high hopes for this food considering Zagat's 2012 Restaurant Survey has named this restaurant the 3rd best food in Toronto (following the far more upscale Scaramouche and Chiado/Senhor Antonio Tapas and Wine Bar).

I ordered the "The Priest", a cheeseburger topped with a fat juicy fried Portobello. Did I mentioned the mushroom was also stuffed with cheese? Hello heartburn. It was tantalizing to see the whole masterpiece assembled and cooked right in front of you.

The bottom line: This burger couldn't get any more fresher and juicier. I love mushrooms, so the blend of flavours and textures bursting in my mouth was amazing. It was well cooked, not overdone so juice was dribbling down my face. It did lack a signature taste, compared to a Harvey's burger (which coincidentally is across the street). But the taste is truly home-style: biting into the burger, I dreamily recalled hot summer days and BBQs. This is the perfect burger you can grill yourself, without having to.

The Burger's Priest
1636 Queen St West (and Coxwell Ave)
(647) 346-0617


No comments:

Post a Comment